[Histonet] Perl's staining after using acid fixative ?

Lee Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 5 07:53:41 CDT 2004

Go ahead and try it.

Bone marrow decals, after all, have gone through an acid decalcification, and iron storages can still be demonstrated, usually.

I added "usually", because the marrow clot always demonstrates more iron than the core at our institution. The clot is not decalcified, while the core is. So being subjected to acid does decrease the amount of demonstrable iron. Acid will leech out the iron, but the amount leeched out depends upon the strength of the acid and the time in the acid.

If there is minimal iron to begin with, then there may be no iron after fixation in an acidic fixative (or after decalcification).

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

Sven van Eijl <T.J.A.vanEijl <@t> pharm.uu.nl> wrote:
Dear Histonetters,

We have been wanting to do a Perl's stain for iron on resin-embedded sections of mouse lung, but in the protocol it is stated that acid fixatives are best "avoided". Does anyone know if this means that there is absolutely no point in trying to do this staining, or could we still get some results. The fixative we used is Carnoy's. Are there other methods for iron staining that can be used, or does the presence of acetic acid in the fixative remove iron form the tissue alltogether ?

Thanks for any input,
Sven

T.J.A.van Eijl, MSc.
Dept. Pharmacology and Pathophysiology
Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences
Utrecht University
Utrecht
The Netherlands

F.A.F.C. Wentgebouw