[Histonet] TB Exposure

Bauer, Karen Bauer.Karen <@t> mayo.edu
Wed Jun 2 11:30:48 CDT 2004

Hi to all,

I'm curious to find out what different procedures are out there dealing with
possible TB exposures.

We had a lung case that we did a frozen section on, not realizing that it
was a possible TB case.  After special stains and cultures came back
positive, one of our Pathologists told the tech who did the frozen to go get
a baseline TB skin test done and then follow up 12 weeks later.  When she
went to receive the test, they turned her away, stating that she does not
qualify as an exposure.  An exposure is defined as "being within the same
confined space for at least one hour with a clinically symptomatic patient
without respiratory protection".  So, I'm a little confused.  If we are
doing a frozen on TB infected lung tissue, with no hood or ventilation
drawing the air away from us, spraying Cyto-Cool all over it (probably
causing the bacteria to scatter all over), then why do we get fitted for
special masks to protect ourselves?  We do wear our masks if we know a
patient is infected with TB, but do not routinely wear them for every lung
case.  And, if we are only exposed by being with the patient, then we should
never have to wear our masks.

How are others dealing with this?

Thanks in advance!!

Karen Bauer HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to
whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this email message,
including any attachment, is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please advise the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of
the original message.   Thank you.