[Histonet] scalpel blades for grossing

GUTIERREZ, JUAN juan.gutierrez <@t> christushealth.org
Fri Jul 30 10:31:04 CDT 2004

We are keeping the fat ones also, both for the 22's and the 60's.
The other day the Fisher rep. came in to show me some new "safety" blades and in the process of the demo he manage to cut MY finger.  In all my years of histology using "non-safety" blades I had never cut myself with a scalpel.  Go figure.

Juan C. Gutierrez, HT(ASCP)
Histology Laboratory Supervisor
Christus Santa Rosa Hospital
333 N. Santa Rosa Ave.
San Antonio, TX  78207
(210)704-2533

-----Original Message-----
From: Fightmaster Janice [mailto:Janice.Fightmaster <@t> HCAhealthcare.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 12:03 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] scalpel blades for grossing

I am interested to know what types of safety scalpel blades for pathology
grossing that list members are using. Which ones on the market are the best
to use? Our pathologists currently use a #22 non-sterile blade with a #six
handle.  The handle is rather "fat" and they like that.  The safety ones
that I have info on all seem to have very flat handles and the docs don't
like them. Thanks!

Janice Fightmaster
Pathology Supervisor
Oak Hill Hospital