[Histonet] Re: Dr. Cartun can you answer a CAP question?

Galbraith, Joe joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu
Thu Jul 29 09:46:49 CDT 2004

Dr. Cartun:

I would be first in line to sign that petition.  We used to just run a negative for each species (as you say in the harsest conditions utilized) until the latest verbage change.  We had changed prior to our last inspection but the inspector did indeed check to see if we were in compliance regarding negative controls for each pretreatment.  As I noted this did indeed considerably increase cost without any revenue gain since in the worst case you could have a negative control for each test Ab used.  However, it does appear that CAP is rather serious about this and there have even been rumblings about isotype specific neg's which would make the situation even more complex.  We too have switched to non-avidin/biotin detection systems and also rarely see any background staining.  Sometimes it seems that the vigorous science of research carries into the cost conscious clinical world perhaps more than necessary.  However, every time that I get to thinking that neg's always seem to be rather meaningless, then once in a RARE, RARE while we do detect a patient that does have some specific staining on some of the extra negative slides that we run today, so perhaps CAP does have a point.

Best wishes,

Joe Galbraith

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Richard
Cartun
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 5:43 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; settembr <@t> umdnj.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Dr. Cartun can you answer a CAP question?

Hi Dana:

This is a question that the CAP needs to re-visit because what "they"
are asking us to do is simply not practical in today's laboratory
environment.  As far as I am concerned, the use of a negative control is
grossly overstated.  Best case scenario in my lab is we run one negative
control and it gets treated with the harshest pretreatment used for that
particular case.  However, we frequently have cases (mostly consults
from other hospitals) where a negative control is not run because there
just aren't enough unstained slides available or we are staining an H&E
or stained cytology slides.  In these situations I look for internal
"negative controls" (i.e., cells that should be negative).  Since we
switched to non-avidin/biotin detection several years ago I hardly ever
see "non-specific" staining.  I would hope that most CAP inspectors
would understand the situation and not site you; I never do.

Maybe we should start a petition to get the CAP to re-examine this
question?

Richard

Richard Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Immunopathology
Hartford Hospital
Hartford, CT  06102

p.s. I hope you don't mind, but I sent my response to Histonet as well
since this has been a topic of interest recently.

>>> Dana Settembre <settembr <@t> umdnj.edu> 07/27/04 03:03PM >>>
Dr. Cartun,
Can I ask you how you handle your negative controls in reference to
CAP
requirements?
Our inspection is in September and our official revised CAP checklist
asks and states the following:

Are negative controls used for each antibody species?
NOTE: A negative control for each primary antibody species must be
used.  Alternativly, buffer controls can be used
if multiple antibodies for each species are included.  The controls
used should also control for pre-treatment conditions.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would take the time to respond.

Dana Settembre
University Hospital - UMDNJ, Newark, NJ

>>> Richard Cartun <Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org> 7/27/2004 11:23:45 AM >>>
Hi Dana:

Are you sure that BioCare's AMACR isn't "IVD"?

RIchard

>>> Dana Settembre <settembr <@t> umdnj.edu> 07/27/04 07:25AM >>>
Sorry,  Using Biocare Medical's AMACR which is Research Use Only.
Dana Settembre
University Hospital - UMDNJ
Newark, NJ

>>> Richard Cartun <Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org> 7/23/2004 5:14:14 PM >>>
Is anyone using an antibody to "alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase" (P504S)
that is labeled "IVD" or "ASR"?  Thank you!

Richard Cartun