[Histonet] Securline markers

Joe Nocito JNocito <@t> Pathreflab.com
Mon Jul 26 13:22:11 CDT 2004

Emily,
	I had several nightmares with those pens.  Statlab Medical Products, up by
Dallas, 1-800-442-3573 have a new pen that works better. The downfall of
these pens is that you have to let the ink dry completely before placing
them in solutions. Once the ink is thoroughly dry, we haven't had a problem.
The ink is still dark after processing and the pens last about twice as long
as the other brand. I think their web page is www.statlab.com
Good luck.

Joe Nocito, BS, HT(ASCP) QIHC
Histology Manager
Pathology Reference Lab
San Antonio, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Emily
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 12:47 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Securline markers

We have been having a major problem the Securline markers for about a year -
they are pretty much dry when we get them. The company that manufactures
them told me to add xylene to each marker. It works most of the time, but it
takes up a lot of time to add the xylene. My feeling is that I shouldn't
have to do that anyway - they should just make a marker that actually works.
I have tried out many other pens/markers and have found none to be
satisfactory. The ink either fades too much during processing or just
totally washes off. Does anyone have any similar issues? Does anyone have
any ideas or suggestions?