[Histonet] Microscope filters

Margaret Blount mab70 <@t> medschl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 23 02:58:33 CDT 2004

Dear Geoff,

Thanks, that is a great help. My colleague isn't actually using film as he
has a digital camera, but I will do a s you suggest and contact the
microscope manufacturers for trial samples. I can easily pop into Jessops
any time.

Thanks again

Margaret

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff McAuliffe [mailto:mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 7:44 PM
To: Margaret Blount
Cc: Histonet (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Microscope filters

Hi Margaret:

    Assuming your colleague is using black and white negative film, a
blue filter will pass more blue light to the film and give more density
in the negative. When printed, that will translate to the blue subject
being lighter on the print. That said, there are lots of blue filters
used in photography and some trial and error may be needed. There are
lots of different "daylight filters", depending on the light source and
the amount of correction needed, an 80A filter might be blue enough for
your application. The standard blue filter for making RGB separations is
a #47 and it is a fairly dense blue-purple color. A #46 is very similar.
Such filters are sold in photo stores that cater to professional
photographers (Jessop's in the UK is one) but you might be able to find
something in the AudioVisual dept at your institution or perhaps the
manufacturer of your microscope might loan you several for a trial, you
could then purchase the one that fits your needs.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.