[Histonet] cryostats

Galbraith, Joe joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu
Tue Jul 20 15:33:28 CDT 2004

Juan:

Sounds like an adjustment issue on the holder.  Not certain what model of blade holder you have but some older Leica models have two screws aligned horizontally one on each side of the locking plate.  This style was harder to adjust.  We replaced our blade holder on the 1850 with a newer model holder just to get rid of that hassle.  The newer models have one central large screw with a tiny adjustment screw immediately behind it.  The latter type can be adjusted quite easily to allow smooth blade changes and yet still get a good tight grip.  If you let me know what type of holder you have I can probably be more specific about adjusting it.  You may also have problems with moisture and ice crystal formation if you are cleaning (disinfecting) the cryostat blade holder while it is cold.  Send me some more info and maybe I can help you out.

Joe Galbraith

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Gayle
Callis
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 1:40 PM
To: GUTIERREZ, JUAN; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] cryostats

WE have two 1850's side by side and I have NEVER had problems with the
blade holder even after two years use with both of them.  You need to find
out from the Leica rep what is going wrong with your holder, something is
out of whack.

We cut hundreds of frozen sections a year - in fact, rarely do paraffin for
any immunohistochemistry.

At 09:31 AM 7/19/2004, you wrote:
>I have never used a H/B, but I would give it a try.  Try both before you
>buy.  I have a Leica 1850 and it had to be replaced within two years.  The
>current one is doing fine.  If you get a good one the Leica's are okay
>except for the blade holder.  It has to be taken apart and adjusted every
>time you change the blade( the pressure clip is to soft).  Now if you
>could choose another company I would try Microm(Richard Allan).
>
>Juan C. Gutierrez, HT(ASCP)
>Histology Laboratory Supervisor
>Christus Santa Rosa Hospital
>333 N. Santa Rosa Ave.