[Histonet] ] Gold Chloride for Retic

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Jul 20 13:35:44 CDT 2004

As with all working chemicals, if you exhaust the active ingredient (gold
chloride molecules)  it will NOT work properly.  Set an expiration date for
your gold chloride, the working solution. OR better yet, set the number of
slides going through this at 50, then make up new.  If you start to get
reddish color, then reduce the number of slides going through 50 mls
working solution.

Concentrated stock solution remains stable for a long time until you make
it up working concentration.  We store stock in the refrigerator.  If
something lasted "forever", we would have no problems.

We always watched our fibers (where there are the most fibers
located)  turn dark blackish gray, I know with Grocotts methenamine silver,
if you leave sections too long in gold chloride they go to a very violet
tinctorial shade, not good - you want blackish-gray. This is the same for
Jones methenamine silver for renal biopsies too.  The times are often more
average for toning, some methods give less time but if your eye lets you
control the color development, it helps - run a clock when you do this.