[Histonet] changing from high to low profile blades

Ford Royer froyer <@t> bitstream.net
Thu Jul 15 10:36:44 CDT 2004

With the Reichert 2030 (and other models) that require that you
switch-out the entire back pressure plate when you go from High to Low
(or vise versa) blades, it has been my experience that if you do not get
the back plate assembled correctly, you will have problems.  Try taking
the back plate off and re-installing it, making sure the it is properly
aligned and the fastening screws are tightened equally.

Although it is common to be quick to judge, it's not always the blade
that is the problem.  Assuming that the back plate is not the problem,
you will need to increase the blade angle from what it was with the high
profile blades when switching to low profile.  This could take a few
"trial & errors", so be patient.

 From working on this "side of the bench" for many years, the split is
almost 50/50 as to the number of high to low profile blades that I
sell.  So they both must work equally as well.  But ...like so many
things in Histology, we are dealing in an art as much as a science ...so
personal preference and personal experience comes into play here.

~ Ford

Ford M. Royer, MT(ASCP)
Analytical Instruments, llc
1200 Mendelssohn Ave. N., Ste. 50