[Histonet] OT then freeze?

renton louise mrs rentonlf <@t> bru.wits.ac.za
Wed Jul 14 02:14:56 CDT 2004

Talk about showing age: I used to use a freezing microtome for in-theatre frozen sections. It was housed in a little cubicle just off the recovery room. What those poor people thought of the deafening WHOOSH of the Co2 I never found out!
Regards

-----Original Message-----
From: "Houston, Ronnie" <Ronnie_Houston <@t> bshsi.com>
To: "'KMIN (Kathy Mink)'" <minkk <@t> zgi.com>, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:58:37 -0400
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Formalin fix---then freeze?

Absolutely; although there is a very real possibility that the tissue will
float off the slide (no matter what type of slide you use) if cutting with a
cryostat. Wash the tissue well before freezing.
The microtome of choice for sectioning frozen fixed tissue is a freezing
microtome, although there aren't many about any more. What a shame!....now
that is an art and experience that younger histotechs are losing out on....I
remember the days of free-floating cerebellum
sections................showing my age now.

Ronnie

Ronnie Houston
Director of Anatomic Pathology
Bon Secours HealthPartners Laboratories