[Histonet] Alkaline NaCl saturated Congo Red Procedure (Puchtler et al. 1962)

Joachim.Velden <@t> evotec-neurosciences.com Joachim.Velden <@t> evotec-neurosciences.com
Mon Jul 12 04:48:38 CDT 2004

Dear Histonet Members,

could someone please explain to me the purpose/effect of alkalinization by
adding 1 ml of 250 mM NaOH to 100 ml of the staining solution used in
Puchtler's alkaline, NaCl-saturated Congo Red staining method?
Accidentally, I once forgot to add the NaOH, but the staining results did
not differ from those that we usually obtain when we stick to the
alkalinizing protocol. Can one omit the alkalinization without doing any
harm to the method's nice sensitivity and specificity towards amyloid
and/or reproducibility of staining results? What is the alkalinization
intended to be good for?
This question is aimed at some practical consequences: Omitting the
alkalinization step would (i) save time, (ii) spare using corrosive agent
(NaOH), (iii) leave the staining solution more stable (than for less than
one day with NaOH added) and thus (iv) save staining reagents
(particularly expensive ethanol) and congo red dye.

Thank you for your expert opinion.

Best regards,

Joachim

Dr. Joachim Velden
Evotec Neurosciences GmbH
Schnackenburgallee 114
D-22525 Hamburg
Germany

Phone +49-40-56081-394        Fax +49-40-56081-222
joachim.velden <@t> evotec-neurosciences.com
http://www.evotec-neurosciences.com