[Histonet] ASCP Exam

lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 8 19:44:27 CDT 2004

The 1/1/05 deadline is for the TAKING of the exam. The APPLICATION deadline
to sign up for the Oct-Dec. 2004 cycle was July 1, 2004.

So if you have not applied before July 1, 2004, it is now too late to sign
up for the high school graduate/2 years on-the-job-training  route for the
HT exam.

If you had applied before the 7/1/04 application deadline, but was rejected
by ASCP Board of Registry (BOR) due to having less than 2 years experience,
but you will have two years of experience in before the 1/1/05 deadline, you
have nothing to lose by contacting ASCP BOR and asking them to review your
case. Contact the ASCP at 312-738-1336, press "0" for operator, and ask for
the Board of Registry.

If you had not applied before the 7/1/05 application deadline, then I don't
know of anything you can do to take the HT exam, except to earn an associate
degree with 20 credits of biology and chemistry, or successfully complete a
NAACLS histology program. One option might be Indiana University. Indiana U
does it's training by teleconference and emails, and there are homework
assignments and slides that must be turned in, and exams that must be taken
under the watchful eye of a person in the lab who is a registered HT or HTL.
For more information, go to
http://www.indiana.edu/~bltindy/ahlt/histotech/cert.html

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital