[Histonet] Competency checklists

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Fri Jan 30 06:50:40 CST 2004

I use a checklist for the routine things.  It covers the basics such as
cutting, maintenance, processing, staining, etc.  It does have a section on
Cytology and IHC so that I can use the same one for everybody.  I would be
happy to share it.  It may not suit your individual needs but you can use it
as a starting point.

Tom Mc Nemar HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Licking Memorial Hospital
Newark, Ohio

mailto:tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Claye Clyatt [mailto:CCLYATT <@t> mail.mcg.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 6:35 AM
To: KathyOconnor <@t> hmh.westsound.net; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Competency checklists

I'm also interested to know how others are handling this.

I've written a test with items I find techs most often forget that come from
the SOP manual as well as technical questions directed to thier level of
responsibility.  I'm asking each tech to complete before their annual
review.  I'm waiting for the first test to be returned now. I would also
like to develop a checklist of skills to be observed on a random basis.

Claye

Claye Clyatt
Chief Histotechnologist
Department of Pathology
Room #BF119
Medical College of Georgia
Augusta, Ga 30912
office   (706) 721-3630
pager  (706) 721-7243-1132
e-mail: cclyatt <@t> mail.mcg.edu

>>> "Kathy OConnor" <KathyOconnor <@t> hmh.westsound.net> 01/29/04 01:20PM

Does anyone have a competency checklist for Histotechs that perform routine
histology but no grossing or IHC they would like to share?

Kathy O'Connor
PAKC/DSL
Bremerton, WA