[Histonet] TWO SPECIMENS IN ONE CONTAINER

Wayne Holland wayneholland1959 <@t> msn.com
Tue Jan 27 17:17:25 CST 2004

I have a new twist to this question of two or more specimens in one
container. Often we receive two or more skin lesions, but mostly skin punch
biopsies in one specimen container from outside doctors offices. However;
usually these specimens are labeled as the same area of excision, but
obvious distinct different sites. I have expressed my concern for obvious
reasons, both for the pathologist and the physician. But the main question I
need answers to is, can we separate these specimens into a,b,c- etc; ??? I
guess I have not looked in the right place for the answer, until now
hopefully. Is it legal to separate and charge accordingly? I know we can
separate and process in a number of ways, but this will not provide correct
billing. Any feedback would be great.