[Histonet] Embedding W/WO Melted Paraffin

Stapf, Ross RossS <@t> BaylorHealth.edu
Wed Jan 21 09:12:42 CST 2004

At my former hospital and here the blocks are embedded "dry".  Biopsies
are found just fine.  On the hot plate any paraffin is melted so
confusing paraffin for a biopsy doesn't happen.   The exception is maybe
using paper instead of mesh cassettes, and then you just scrape
everything on the paper into the cassette with a scalpel.  I can't tell
you how many time techs have scraped the paper and didn't see anything,
but embedded the block anyway and there is something (and the correct
something) on the cut slide.

I think either way is fine.  It is a matter of what folks are used to.

Ross M Stapf
Histopathology Manager
Baylor University Medical Center
3500 Gaston Ave.