[Histonet] Re: acceptable rate of carryover

Gary Gill garygill <@t> dcla.com
Tue Jan 20 11:30:42 CST 2004

Husain OA, Grainger JM, Sims J.  Cross contamination of cytological smears,
with automated staining machines and
bulk manual staining procedures. With a specific study of the problems of
the Cytotek and the Shandon Elliott staining machines.  J Clin Pathol.  1978
Jan; 31(1): 63-8.

Further development of an individual staining machine is to be strongly
encouraged but meanwhile, using bulk stainers, frequent changing of wash
fluids and staining solutions, particularly leading up to and following the
haematoxylin pot, is essential to reduce the risk of cross contamination.
Certain smears, such as from semen or from serous fluids where malignancy is
suspected or known, must be stained on separate racks. In some laboratories
it is the rule not to stain semen or serous fluids in bulk staining machines
at all and this may have to become the rule everywhere until we are provided
with safe individual slide stainers.

The Ames Cytotek moved Pap smears cellside-down across a stainless steel
platen with grooves through which stain and rinses were metered.
Manufacturer claimed there was a "capillary gap" that prevented cells from
being abraded from one slide and attaching to another.  Dr. Husain stained a
set of Pap smears with a series of single blank slides between each Pap
smear.  The blank slides demonstrated cellular cross-contamination.  So much
for the veracity of the manufacturer's claim.

Gary Gill