[Histonet] (no subject)

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Jan 16 11:44:51 CST 2004

I suggest you access RA Dodds publications on doing undecalcified bone
frozen sections.

By the way, what is a "large bone biopsy set"?  A trephine?

At 05:12 PM 1/16/2004 -0000, you wrote:

>> I'm working on apoptosis in ovine osteocytes. We plan on doing TUNEL
staining and also Caspase-3 antibody staining. I was wondering how long
from the point the animal dies do you have to freeze the samples before the
DNA and proteins will start to deteriorate? Is freezing necessarily the
best method of preserving the samples, or should we consider an
alternative? Has anyone performed either tunel or caspase 3 staining on
undecalcified bone sections?

>> We also plan on looking at other proteins within the bone, inparticular
nitric oxide synthase. Again, how long before this protein begins to
denature? Does anyone have a protocol for the preservation of bone proteins?

>> Is there a commercial storage solution for proteins (similar to ambions
RNALater)? If so would this be effective for a couple of hours to allow the
samples be transported?

>> Has anyone used a large bone biopsy set?
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
>> Orlaith Brennan

>intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
>they are addressed.
>If you have received this email in error please notify the
>originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
>email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.
>
>Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
>sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority,
>states them to be the views of The Royal College Of Surgeons in Ireland.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology