[Histonet] PAS with and without Diastase for glycogen

Barnhart, Tammy Tbarnhart <@t> primecare.org
Fri Jan 16 08:52:08 CST 2004

Thank you all for your ideas, let me elaborate...

Our pathologists won't except cervix for a control, they want a liver
control. When we use cervix, the stain seems to work great.  I have not
tried skin or kidney, but maybe I can get them to except them as controls.
We have tried spitting, it works best.  I don't feel it is a problem with
our procedure, because it seems to work well on cervix and the Schiff's
reaction seems to be very strong.  Freida, you may have hit the nail on the
head with your comment on glycogen storage in the liver.  Autopsy tissue is
about all the liver we can get.  Could be that we will never get good,
consistent results with liver controls.  However, in my previous lab we did
get consistent staining with liver.  That is what has me so perplexed.  I
think I will try the kidney.  If alot of you respond that liver will never
make a good control, maybe I can use that as proof to the pathologists that
we need to use the cervix control.  Any other ideas....please let me know.

[Barnhart, Tammy]  -----Original Message-----
From: FreidaC <@t> aol.com [mailto:FreidaC <@t> aol.com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 8:21 AM
To: Tbarnhart <@t> primecare.org; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] PAS with and without Diastase for glycogen

Tammy:

Many livers do not contain a lot of glycogen - especially autopsy livers,
because few are well nourished and have a lot of stored glycogen at the time
of death.  A better control in my opinion is a section of cervix containing
both endo- and ecto- cervix.  The stratified squamous epithelium of the
ectocervix contains glycogen which will disappear with diastase digestion,
while the mucous glands in the endocervix do not contain glycogen, but
rather mucin that will be positive with the PAS.  This will not disappear
with diastase digestion.  This is also easier control tissue to find in most
institutions.

Freida Carson

Confidentiality Notice:This e-mail message is for sole use of intended
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution, or copying is
by replying to this e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of this e-mail
message.