[Histonet] CPT coding for IHC

Dawson, Glen GDawson <@t> Milw.Dynacare.com
Mon Jan 12 15:18:58 CST 2004

All,

I am in need of some clarification.  Please let me know which answer you
would chose for the following scenario.

A pathologist orders a CD3, CD20, CD15 & CD30 on blocks A1, A4, B2 & C2 from
case S04-100.
So 16 total IHC stains are performed on this case.  In coding for this one
would you chose:

A) 88342 X 16 to cover all IHC's done.

B) 88342 X 4 to cover the 4 different IHC's done.

C) 88342 X 12 to avoid double billing on the "A" subnumber.

I have been told that each one of these was the correct answer depending on
who I am asking at the time.  My confusion cup runneth over.

Help!!,

Glen Dawson  BS, HT & QIHC (ASCP)
Lead IHC Technologist
Milwaukee, WI