[Histonet] Frozen section ice artifact

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Mon Jan 12 14:16:40 CST 2004

Remember, you can post pictures on Histonet.org and then refer to them by name in your email to the regular histonet.

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63134
Ph: 314 522 0300
FAX  314 522 0377
cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
www.myneurolab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 12:08 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Frozen section ice artifact

Yo Histonetters, and Happy New Year.

I just cut some frozen sections of solid tumors in OCT which were supposed
to be snap frozen in liquid nitrogen after being put in plastic cryomolds. I have never seen such horrible morphology in my career.  I think this is
an example of the absolute worst ice crystal artifact I have ever seen,
but since I have never seen anything this bad before, I don't know what
I'm seeing, you see?    I hope I've intrigued someone enough to email me
directly, so I can send you a gif file of this atrocity.  I think the
tissues were mishandled prior to freezing (someone else froze them) and
I'm trying to figure out what happened so I can correct the problem.  I'd
appreciate anyone who would like to take a look at this artifact - it's
awful, honest!

Jackie O'Connor