[Histonet] Ethanol vs. Isopropanol

Jack England joeamateur <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:26:41 CST 2004

Hello Histonetters,

I apologize if this question has been hashed over before, but I couldn't
find it in the archives.

I've seen ethanol and isopropanol used pretty much interchangeably in
dehydration and staining procedures. From my cell culture experience, I've
noticed that isopropanol tends to work slightly better to clean trypan blue
off of slides, so here's my question:

Are there any reasons why one or the other might be better for dehydration?
How about staining? Have any of you out there tried both out and found one
better than the other for a given application?

Warmest regards to all, and best wishes for a prosperous year!!

--Jack England