[Histonet] Mast cell staining

Cheryl Crowder ccrowder <@t> mail.vetmed.lsu.edu
Fri Feb 20 07:58:57 CST 2004

We do toluidine blue staining regularly.  We have found that the biggest
cause for poor staining is the pH of the solution.  It should be about
2.5.  Our solution is simple:  Toluidine blue, 0.5 gm; 20% alcohol, 100
ml.  Place slides in T blue solution - 2 min.  Rinse in water.
Differentiate in 2 changes each 95% alcohol and absolute alcohol - 1 min
each.  Air dry slides.  Coverslip.  It is important to air dry the
slides as the alcohol left on the slides can continue differentiation.
Results:  Mast cells: blue with magenta granules.
Hope this helps.  Cheryl

Cheryl Crowder, BA, HTL(ASCP)
Chief Technologist
Anatomic Pathology