[Histonet] Storage of Primary Antibodies!

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Feb 16 10:17:28 CST 2004

I generally store antibodies at -27C, never colder, probably more due to
ready freezer space. My immunologist who develops monoclonals/polyclonals
also stores his in house antibodies at this temperature, but NEVER is a
self defrosting freezer.  If the antibody is an inhouse supernate, we add 1
ul 1M sodium azide per ml of supernate.  Aliquots are made of supernates,
and in general we don't bother to purify or concentrate these, they are
totally clean.  We tend to use these as a supernate, often never diluted
further.  We have also had supernates with azide added stay potent for
YEARS at 4C temps, as long as they are stored in sterile tubes, and
aliquoted under sterile conditions in a biohood.  The amount of azide is
not terribly significant with HRP since so many reagents and rinses take
care of getting rid of it before HRP step.  We are careful to use good
tight screw top tubes, have had problems with flip tops - evaporation was a
pain.

I think that some antibodies are fussy about storage, per this discussion.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology