[Histonet] mouse perfusion

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Sun Feb 15 16:58:08 CST 2004

You can get ALL the blood out, if sufficient pressure is used.  It is not about time or volume of fluid, but about pressure.  See the pictures at the following link.

http://www.myneurolab.com/myneurolab/mnl_products_detail.asp?idproduct=471001&catdesc=Histology+Equipment&CatThreeID=674&CatOneID=4&subcatdesc=Sacrifice+Equipment&idsubcategory=21

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63134
Ph: 314 522 0300
FAX  314 522 0377
cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
www.myneurolab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Geoff McAuliffe
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 11:51 AM
To: Cooperman, Sharon (NIH/NICHD)
Cc: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: Re: [Histonet] mouse perfusion

Hi Sharon:

    You may be able to shorten the time of perfusion and avoid hand cramps by reducing the amount of washout solution. In my experience many people spend way too much time and solution washing blood out of the circulatory system. 10 ml of buffer or saline is plenty to wash the blood out of a mouse. After that it is on to fixative. You will never get all of the blood out of every vessel so why try.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.