[Histonet] IHC background stain

Caroline Stott caroline.stott <@t> anatomy.otago.ac.nz
Sun Feb 15 15:37:09 CST 2004

Hi Roger,
I don't think the 5 micron sections should be too much of a problem.  We
cut a lot of immuno sections at 7 microns and they come up with great
results.  Are you using a polyclonal antibody?  We had trouble with
background staining when using them.
It might be a good idea to calibrate the microtome though.
Caroline

Hi Roger,

5um does seem a little on the thick side, although if this is what you
always have done, then obviously something else has changed.  I tend to cut
all my IHC slides at 3um...

Other reasons for excessive background could be:
* incorrect pH of buffer
* antibody / detection system 'off'/expired (has it been left out on the
bench too often?!)
* sections dried out
* new batch of antibody - may need retitering
* Have you switched retrieval solutions?  EDTA can give notiveable
background on its own...

These are just a few ideas - as you know, IHC is a bit of a black art, so
your best bet to to look closely for any changes...

Best of Luck
Aidan

"Charles, Roger" <rcharles <@t> state.pa.us> wrote:
Hello all,
I do all the IHC for our diagnostic veterinary laboratory. Latley i have
been getting a lot of background stain from certain protocols. I also over
heard one of the pathologists state the sections are getting thicker. Could
thick section cause background stain on IHC? I checked my histologist
microtome and it is set at 5um. Could her microtome need calibrated?

Roger Charles
Microbiologist
Pennsylvania Veterinary Laboratory
2305 N Cameron St