[Histonet] aniline blue for trichrome

Barry R Rittman Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Wed Feb 11 16:21:30 CST 2004

Hi Liz
Technically methyl blue can be substituted for aniline blue WS. They are
both very acidic stains with sulfonate groups, similar absorption and
therefore similar color. The problem I had with methyl blue was that it
did not give as intense a color to connective tissue as the  aniline
blue WS.
I believe that the reason that methyl blue is substituted for aniline
blue WS is that it is easier to control the manufacturing process.
Aniline blue WS is a mixture of phenyl pararosanilines and I am told
that producing a consistent batch is difficult. I would recommend
looking at the original bottle that you had success with and not only
checking the CI but also the dye content and the batch number. If you
can get another bottle of the same then I would lay in a stock of this.
While suppliers don't like to do so they will often supply a dye of
specific batch number if you request this and if they have it in stock.
Wish I could suggest another solution.
Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Elizabeth Chlipala
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 3:39 PM
To: 'HistoNet Server'
Subject: [Histonet] aniline blue for trichrome

Hello all

We are having a problem with our trichrome stain, we are not getting the
correct differentiation of muscle.  We normally don't have any problems
with this stain, since we always use fresh reagents.  We had an old
bottle of aniline blue from EMS that we have been using, I had ordered a
new bottle from Harleco they are both the same CI - 42755.  We started
having problems with the new aniline blue, but I'm not certain that this
is the reason why since what is not staining in the tissues is the
smooth muscle of vessels.  We have run this stain on rat and mouse
livers, both from carbon tetrachloride induced liver toxicity studies,
the morphological changes in this model include fibrosis, necrosis and
degenerating hepatocytes.  The rat livers look fine, except that the
smooth muscle of the vessels are not staining red.  The mouse livers
also have this problem, but in addition to that the degenerating
hepatocytes are staining slightly blue.  Also, when I checked into
ordering additional aniline blue from Sigma they use Methyl Blue, water
soluable - certified for use as Aniline Blue, but the CI is different
its 42780.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Liz

Elizabeth A. Chlipala, BS, HTL(ASCP)
Premier Histology Laboratory, LLC
P.O. Box 18592
Boulder, Colorado 80308
Office: (303) 735-5001
Fax: (303) 735-3540
lizchlipala <@t> premierhistology.com
www.premierhistology.com

Ship to Address:
Premier Histology Laboratory
University of Colorado
MCBD, Room A3B40
Boulder, Colorado 80309

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or
CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of the email or any of
its attachments, please be advised that you have received this email in
error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this email or any attached files is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately
purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply email or
contact the sender at the number listed above if one is provided.