[Histonet] IHC on H&E section

Chung, Luong lchung <@t> ppmh.org
Wed Feb 11 12:39:00 CST 2004

How do you keep the tissue from falling off the slide after it went through for antigent retrieval? Does it need antigent retrieval process?
I put it through "Declere" in the pressure cooker for about 15 minutes.
I use regular slide with STA-ON for my H&E stain.

Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Dana Settembre [mailto:settembr <@t> umdnj.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 1:08 PM
To: RossS <@t> BaylorHealth.edu; pruegg <@t> colobio.com; MAUGER <@t> email.chop.edu;
histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Cc: ihcrg <@t> yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Histonet] IHC on H&E section

Patsy,
Soak in the same reagent that was used before coverslipping.  If a
xylene substitute was used, soak in that.  We use xylene, so we soak in
xylene to remove coverslip.  Slides coverslipped yesterday come off
within an hour. If coverslipped two years ago, it could take days at
room temp.
I agree with Ross Stapf regarding destaining.  It is not really
necessary.  I use a citra pretreatment in the microwave when running
AE1/AE3 and the color left behind is a mild blush.  I run immunos on H&E
slides often and it  works.

Dana Settembre
University Hospital - UMDNJ, Newark, NJ

>>> "Stapf, Ross" <RossS <@t> BaylorHealth.edu> 2/11/2004 8:24:44 AM >>>

In my experience destaining is not necessary if you are doing a heat
epitope retrieval.  The retrieval will remove most if not all of the
H/E
stain.  You may have a slight blush of eosin when finished, but it
will
be easy to distinguish from DAB staining in my experience.  I have
recently heard that there are some antibodies that may not be
preserved
after H/E staining, but I have not experienced this personally.
AE1/AE3
should be fine.

Ross M Stapf
Histopathology Manager