[Histonet] IHC on H&E section

Mary North northma <@t> ohsu.edu
Wed Feb 11 11:54:36 CST 2004

When working with a large tumor registry, I was asked to do IHC on many
archived H & E slides.  To remove the coverslip, I placed the slide on a
hot plate until the adhesive softened and then popped off the coverslip
by slipping a razor blade under one corner.  No tissue was ever lost.
While the slide was still slightly warm, I put it into xylene to remove
the remaining adhesive. Then I continued down a typical decerating line
to 70% ethanol which removed most of the eosin.  To remove the
hematoxylin, I used periodic acid solution(I don't remember the
concentration or time but I think it was similar to the PAS treatment).
The pathologist was found that the IHC's on the archived slides where
much more brilliant than on freshly cut sections.
Mary North, HT(ASCP), HTL
Oregon Health & Science University
Portland, OR

>>> "Patsy Ruegg" <pruegg <@t> colobio.com> 02/11/04 07:36AM >>>
I know this has come up before but don't remember the details.  I would
like
to do IHC for AE1/AE3 on a slide from a study set that has been H&E
stained
and coverslipped for some time now.  Please advise.  Is there a
preferred
method for removing the coverslip and maintaining the section integrety?
Destaining the H&E?  Doing the IHC stain on this section?
Patsy