[Histonet] IHC on H&E section

Joanne Mauger MAUGER <@t> email.chop.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:00:17 CST 2004

Patsy,
>From my experience it is possible. I would soak the slide in fresh xylene,changing often, until it will lift off without lifting the tissue.
The H&E stain can be somewhat lightened with acid alcohol, and 95% alc. The destaining is not really necessary. Depending on the antigen,hopefully it is preserved, the IP staining should work as usual,with a little dirty H&E background. Good luck. Sometimes it takes days for coverslips to come off.
Jo

>>> "Patsy Ruegg" <pruegg <@t> colobio.com> 02/11/04 10:36AM >>>
I know this has come up before but don't remember the details.  I would like
to do IHC for AE1/AE3 on a slide from a study set that has been H&E stained
and coverslipped for some time now.  Please advise.  Is there a preferred
method for removing the coverslip and maintaining the section integrety?
Destaining the H&E?  Doing the IHC stain on this section?
Patsy