[Histonet] polyvinyl sponges in processors

Victoria Baker vbaker60 <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 18:21:26 CST 2004

Sylvia,

Back in the mid 90's we used these sponges (polyvinyl
acetate)as implants in rats for wound healing
research.  They do not dissolve while processing.  Two
things though, once we softened the sponges by letting
them soak in a very dilute solution of baby shampoo,
the results were disastrous.  They just disintegrated
up on the water bath.  The other thing is that if
these sponges haven't been softened they can cause
havoc on your blade.  I used to soak them in a 1%
solution of cold ammonium hydroxide for a few minutes
before cutting.  Also as an extra precaution I let
them air dry overnight. Do not use any Histofreeze or
other refrigerant.  Ice chips can be used in between
if you need a little extra moisture.

Good luck.

Vikki Baker
Institute for Cancer Prevention