[Histonet] Why not just make TRIS buffer in the lab

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Feb 9 11:28:48 CST 2004

Instead of making PBS, make up TRIS buffered saline.  Make up a 10X
solution of TRIS, dilute when you need it 1:10, extremely easy.

Here is Chris van der Loos recipe that is excellent, simple - just test pH
of 10X - we dilute it 1:10, and the pH is always right on the nose.

10X TRIS (0.5M) Buffered Saline (8.9% to 9%)

TRIS base				60.57g/liter
Sodium chloride			89 - 90g
Conc Hydrochloric acid		30 ml
Test pH approx 7.8

We store stock 10X in refrigerator, others may not.

Working 0.05M TBS

Dilute Stock 10X 1:10 with pure water.

We buy our TRIS base from Fisher, with a huge discount.  So the buffer is
cost effective.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor