[Histonet] CPT coding situation

Drew Sally A. sa.drew <@t> hosp.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 9 07:40:20 CST 2004

Unfortunately, that would be our approach too, sigh.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Cartun [mailto:Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org]
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 9:29 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] CPT coding situation

For those of you familiar with CPT coding for surgical pathology, I
would like to confirm my interpretation of the following situation:

The specimen is a "Left breast, partial mastectomy" and the pathologist
found and diagnosed two separate invasive duct carcinomas (tissue blocks
2B and 2K).  Ancillary studies (ER, PR, and c-erbB-2) were performed on
the two separate tumors.  I charged for one set of IHC studies (block
2B), but "no charged" the second set (2K) since both studies were
performed on blocks from the same specimen.  Is this correct?  Thank
you.

Richard Cartun