[Histonet] museum specimens

Andrew Iwaniuk aiwaniuk <@t> ualberta.ca
Sun Feb 8 16:10:32 CST 2004

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the preparation of museum specimens for histology.
 I recently obtained access to several museum specimens (formalin fixed and
then preserved in 70% ethanol) that we are using for a comparative
neuroanatomical study.  We are hoping to successfully extract the brains and
section the tissue to examine cerebellar structure.  I was thinking of taking
the brains through a graded series of ethanols to PBS, post-fixing in PFA and
gelatin embedding them for frozen sections.  Alternatives would be to leave it
in 70% ethanol and section it on a vibratome or paraffin embed them.

Does anyone have any experience in performing histology on museum specimens
like these or suggestions/advice on the matter?

Thanks,
Andrew Iwaniuk

Andrew N. Iwaniuk
Post-doctoral Research Fellow