[Histonet] Fetal Remains

Bell, Lynne Lynne.Bell <@t> hitchcock.org
Tue Dec 28 12:23:16 CST 2004

I am interested how other hospital handle and/or dispose of fetal
remains.  In particular, I am interested in "products of conception"
where there is an actual formed fetus.  How long do you retain this
specimen, how do you dispose of it, do you have the mother sign a
"release of remains".  In the state of Vermont, a fetal death is 20
weeks and over OR 400 grams and over and we require an autopsy permit
for this.  If it is smaller than 400 grams or less than 20 weeks, it is
considered a surgical specimen.

Of course, the reason I am asking is our hospital was recently sued for
disposing of a 200 gram fetus after following our Histology policy of
disposing of surgical specimens six weeks from accession date.  We are
naturally "gun-shy" at this point to even discard any "products of
conception".  Your wisdom and guidance will be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynne

Lynne A. Bell, HT (ASCP)

Central Vermont Hospital