[Histonet] suggestions on bone cross section?

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Dec 21 11:31:06 CST 2004

I presume mouse you are working with mouse?   Are the bones prefixed?   If
so, you will need to sucrose cryoprotect before snap freezing.  You will
need a tungsten carbide knife, pricey!! and I strongly advise buying
two.  One in use, one being reconditioned at $220 a knife.  We use D
profile tungsten carbide tipped cryostat knives from Delaware Diamond
Knives, and prefer these over the C profile tungsten carbide.

Bones can be laid flat in an plastic embedding mold from Tissue Tek, embed
inOCT, then snap freeze, preferrably with dry ice mixed with hexane.  All
you have to do for precise oreintation, is take frozen block, turn it on
end with area you want to see facing up, and mount block on a metal
cryostat chuck.  Be sure to surround block with more OCT at this time to
build up block face.   If you mount the block with 2% methyl cellulose, you
will have a very hard, sturdy support of the block but do not use this goo
to embed with, it is horrible to cut.

You can even stand bone on end inside a peel a way mold, the 22 mm x 22
mm.  Hold the bone while OCT starts to freeze, then let it totally
freeze.  You now have a block that is long enough with a big enough block
face to cut nicely.  This amount of OCT will freeze more slowly, and you
may get freezing artifact.  You can freeze bones first (coated with just
diluted OCT 1:1 with PBS, then double embed the frozen bone in this mold
with more OCT,  using dry ice/hexane slurry.  You need to avoid warming up
already frozen bones, use forceps that are stored in slurry to hold bone
until bottom of mold begins to freeze.  Be sure to release forceps before
block is totally frozen.  This will be easier than trying to stand a frozen
bone upright on a chuck and add more OCT.

We set the cryostat temperature to -29C or colder with knife and sample
also that cold.

Good luck as cryosectioning of tiny cortical bones will NOT be easy.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology