[Histonet] OJT trained histotechs

Horn, Hazel V HornHV <@t> archildrens.org
Tue Dec 21 08:16:23 CST 2004

While the requirements to take the registry have changed, it doesn't
mean jobs will be filled with only registered techs.  While that is
ideal and what we all hope for, unregistered techs will still be hired
because they will be a cheap source of labor.   There are no
requirements that state only registered techs can do the work.   Since
CLIA deems the pathologist as supervisor of the histology lab as the
sole source of reporting results, there is no requirement for registered
techs unless your specific lab requires it.

Hazel Horn, HT/HTL (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Arkansas Children's Hospital

Phone - 501.364.4240
Fax - 501.364.3912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Histology SLU
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 7:34 AM
To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: [Histonet] OJT trained histotechs

Hello All:

With the new requirements to sit for the registry, it will be more than
likely that future positions will have to be filled with BS degreed
people who want to learn histology.  I think that we all have figured
that out.  My question is this, in your institutions do you hire a
"trainee" in a tech position and they sit for their registry as soon as
eligible?  Or, does your institution hire them in at a lower pay scale,
maybe that of a lab assistant, until their training is complete and they
pass the registry?  As always, thanks so much for your input.

Susan

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.