[Histonet] H and E staining

Ian Ward Ian.Ward <@t> nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 03:24:13 CST 2004

Hi all

I could use some advice, I have been trying to H and E stain some mouse sections of the lungs, brain, spleen, liver, kidney, pancreas and heart. i have used the following method:-
Xlylene     5minutes
Xlylene     5minutes
100% IMS 5minutes
100% IMS 5minutes
90% IMS  5minutes
70% IMS  5minutes
50% IMS  5minutes
running tap water   5minutes
Filtered Haematoxylin   5minutes
Quick wash in running tap water
Dip 20 times in Acid Alcohol
Quick wash in running tap water
Few seconds in Lithium Carbonate
1% Eosin   5minutes
Quick rince in running tap water
Take quickly though alcohols to xylene again
Mount

My problem is that for some reason very little of the Eosin can be seen on the sections when I come to view them. Any ideas?

Cheers

Ian

Ian Ward
Senior Technician