[Histonet] dioxane chemical questions[Scanned]

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Mon Dec 6 02:21:53 CST 2004

You have good health insurance? In a union?

-----Original Message-----
From: Maria Mejia [mailto:maria <@t> ski.org]
Sent: 03 December 2004 23:16
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] dioxane chemical questions[Scanned]

Hello Everyone, in the next few weeks, we plan to use very small amounts
of (dioxane)
to coat coverslip - 10ml -20ml at one time - 2-4 times /month.

In previous experiments, the PI has tried other chemical substitutes -
without success.
Without the use of dioxane, a protein called conA that attaches cells to
the glass will not
bond properly with the coverslips and instead will wash away during
testing.

This question is for anyone (past or current) using dioxane, please
advise, on the following
procedure:

I understand in order to prevent peroxidizable compounds in the dioxane, it
is necessary to store the liquid material - inerting the atmosphere in
storage containers
with nitrogen to inhibit peroxide formation.

 >When using dioxane, is there another alternative to storing in
nitrogen or argon
   atmosphere?
For example,  adding an inert high boiling substance like mineral oil to
prevent the
peroxide from concentrating to a dangerous level? Has anyone tried this?

 >What type of containers (metal or plastic) should be used for
cryogenic process?

 >What type of container should be used in disposal of dioxane?
Polyethylene
   plastic?

 > Can I assume that -20C is a good temperature for storage?

 > How long should I keep working dioxane? I read 3-12 months.

 > How long should I keep waste dioxane waiting for disposal pick-up?

 > Disposal of peroxides - should I dilute with water - what
concentration of H20?

 > How can I detect & determine peroxides? I notice in the Laboratory
Safety that they
   sell peroxide check paper strips. Does anyone know if these strips
are reliable and
   accurate?

 > How often should we have the fume hood where dioxane will be
use...checked?
   Every six months? Once a year (currently doing)?

Nitrile (heavy weight - 8mil-12 mil) and butyl gloves will be used.

I believe that's it for now - please let me know if I have forgotten
anything else! Any
help or information (resources, references, companies etc) anyone can
provide will be
greatly appreciate.

regards

Maria Mejia