[Histonet] Mouse Paws

Thomas Crowell Thomas.Crowell <@t> biogenidec.com
Fri Dec 3 08:57:29 CST 2004

Hello Histonetters,

I'm looking for some help or guidance in obtaining good sections from
mouse front paws, to include the bones of the wrist and digits, as well as
maintaining the surrounding matrix.  This is an ongoing problem in our
laboratory and we have a difficult time obtaining good sections at this
level, the problem appearing to be inadequate infiltration of paraffin
into the interior of the paws, leaving the center somewhat mushy & white.

The feet are fixed in 10% NBF for up to a week, decalcified in formic
acid/sodium citrate for 3 to 5 days, processed on a Shandon Pathcentre for
45 minutes/reagent, 4 changes of paraffin, 45 minutes each, vacum &
pressure on the waxes only.

Any suggestions regarding fixation, decalcification, or processing
enhancements to improve the overall picture would be extremely  helpful.

Thanks!

Tom Crowell
BiogenIdec
Cambridge, MA