[Histonet] M.tuberculosis in formalin-fixed tissue[Scanned]

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Fri Dec 3 02:31:14 CST 2004

No-one replied to this yet? No?

Ok. TB lives (hibernates) in bone, that's why, in the old days people were
sent to Sanatoriums. They recovered from their TB, by good diet etc., but
when they were released and their diet/ health got worse, the bone
de-ossified and the TB was released; they then suffered a relapse.

I assume that can happen in lung etc., as the TB may be encapsulated in
areas of bony spiculues (can't spell that) it is shielded from the fixative.
I assume staining, cutting, etc., can release the bacteria from its bony
coffin to make the sections infective.

I would assume the risk is low, but there all the same. There is an
'explosion' of TB in London, I gather from the News today.

Kemlo Rogerson
Cellular Pathology Manager
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
DD. 01254-294162