[Histonet] Enzyme stains

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Dec 1 23:28:37 CST 2004

Cathepsins are proteolytic enzymes. They occur
in all organisms. A big biochemistry textbook
will tell you about these enzymes.

Some cathepsins can be histochemically localized
by activity-based histochemical methods. The
best reference is Volume 3 of the last edition
of Pearse's Histochemistry: ISBN 0443029962
You will need to study Chapters 29 and 31.

You may need to follow up some references
from the late Pearse's Vol 3, but that is now
extremely easy, with PubMed, Google and
Web of Science.

John Kiernan
London, Canada.