[Histonet] Paraffin blocks - Dangerous goods?]

Ford Royer froyer <@t> bitstream.net
Wed Dec 1 09:40:33 CST 2004

Cremated human remains are not considered a biohazard, providing that
proper documentation from a certified & licensed crematory are
presented.  The U.S. Postal Service accepts them for shipping as does
UPS & FedEx.  USPS requires that they be shipped "Certified Mail" but
that has to do with insuring that the remains of your loved one gets to
their destination safely, not that it would be a Biohazard.  On the
other hand, paraffin embedded tissue (human or animal) blocks are.
Certain viruses and infectious prions can survive fixation and
processing  (Biohazard) and the paraffin block itself is a flammable
material (HazMat).  There are ways that they can be shipped if they are
properly packaged and labeled by a trained packaging people.

~ Ford

Ford M. Royer, MT(ASCP)
Midwest Science Biocenter
Minneapolis, MN 55301