[Histonet] fixatives

Lesley Weston lesley <@t> vancouverbc.net
Sun Aug 29 10:14:15 CDT 2004

If you're not interested in membrane, you can dehydrate small samples in a
water-miscible resin such as Aquembed from Ladd, rather than alcohols,
before embedding in epoxy. This preserves fat. If you do need to see the
membrane, OsO4 is your best bet (possibly as well as Aquembed) but be sure
to use it in a fume hood and with gloves. It's nasty stuff, and I would
agree that you shouldn't use it in a processor but that you can use it
safely if you're careful.

Lesley Weston.