[Histonet] Atherosclerosis and freshly cut tissue

Anila Syed syedab <@t> totalise.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 14:38:23 CDT 2004

Dear All,

We are currently collecting carotid endarterectomies in order to stain them
for the presence of inflammatory markers and various endothelial receptors.
We collect the tissue into 10% formalin and it has been left like that for
about two months while we gather sufficient numbers.

My question is, we have been told that once they are wax embedded, they will
need to be freshly cut each time in order for the IHC to work. Is this true?

Could I cut a batch of, say 50 sections and keep them until they need to be
stained? Or will I need to cut fresh sections each time. I want to stain for
MMP's, TIMP1 etc.

Also, in general, is it true that receptor proteins start to become oxidised
in wax-embedded tissue and therefore staining starts to diminish?

I hope someone has some experience of this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes

Anila Syed

---