[Histonet] Any teleconference schools out there?

lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 24 19:05:55 CDT 2004

Indiana University is the only NAACLS-accredited HT program that runs a
teleconference program. Students listen to a teleconference once a week (1
1/2 - 2 hours), do homework via email and snail mail, mail in slides to IU,
take exams under the watchful eye of an ASCP registered histotech at the
lab. Have to pay tuition to IU, so earn college credit at IU. It's a one
year program, that starts in August, I believe. So I think it is too late to
sign up this year, but contact Debra anyway for more information.

 Indiana University School of Medicine
Coleman Hall, Room 322
1140 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5113
Ms. Debra Wood, BS, HT(ASCP)
demwood <@t> iupui.edu
 (317) 278-1599

There are several NAACLS-accredited HT programs that have a lot of their
lessons on the internet. Students have a password to get to the lessons,
read them on line, follow the links, answer questions, etc. However, the
students still have to go on campus of these programs,  to do the lab work,
and then have to do rotations at hospital or private histology labs. To
date, that I know of, none of them are NAACLS-accredited for training
histotechs in other states, via only the internet.

There is one NAACLS-accredited program does make their lectures/lessons that
are on line available to other people out of state for a fee. You can also
take the exams and have them graded on line, for that fee. So if you need
help studying for the written part of the HT/HTL exam, this would be
helpful. However, you are NOT a student in the NAACLS-accredited program,
because you are not attending the college labs nor are you doing a rotation.

If interested, contact:

 Harford Community College
Allied Health Department
401 Thomas Run Road