[Histonet] Endothelial cell staining

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Aug 20 10:59:21 CDT 2004

First of all, you do NOT NEED ANY retrieval or digestion on Carnoys fixed
tissue - there is NO formalin involved with this fixative - we had total
success with DAKO Factor VIII, at 1:200 - 1:250.  Tissue was fCarnoys fixed
overnight (we took out the chloroform since it is not a fixative, just
there to remove fat/lipids).   Your retrieval may have ruined the antigen.

As for CD31 rat antimouse, we get no background staining with rat antimouse
antibodies and we  use mainly BD Pharmingen antibodies.

It can be done two ways with either a biotinylated primary or CD31
(dilution panel needed) come back with goat antiRat F(ab')2 biotinylated,
ADSORBED TO MOUSE, and Strepavidin HRP.

For frozen section, 5 um air dry overnight, fix in 75ml acetone/25ml
absolute ethanol mixture for 5 minutes at room temperature, DO NOT AIR DRY
again,  go directly to buffer 3 changes.  Use appropriate rinses
throughout, rinse buffer contains 0.05 - 0.005% Tween 20 and 0.2% goat
serum.  Room temperature staining, no added temperature.  This fixative
will give you good morphology and excellent staining.

Do DAKO peroxidase block (S2001) for frozen sections (for excessive
endogenous Px, glucose oxidase method)
Normal serum block 10% goat/2.5% mouse serum mixture, 30 min
Strepavidin/biotin block (Vector), rather than avidin/biotin blocking
Primary antibody diluted in 5% goat- 30 min , negative control is either
Rat IgG or isotype matched IgG
Secondary antibody diluted in NORMAL SERUM BLOCK with the mouse serum - we
use Biosource/TAGO secondary, diluted 1:250 (0.5mg/ml stock) for 30 min
Strepavidin-HRP - Biosource, diluted 1:500 in buffer - 20  min
AEC+ from DAKO and control color development with a microscope on the
positive control.

If you use biotinylated primary (negative control is Rat IgG-biotinylated
from Jackson at exact concentration in ug/ml as primary)  just dilute this
in the NORMAL SERUM BLOCK with mouse serum, 30 min -
Rinse and use Strepavidin-HRP or AP.

If you use DAB, you will have to adjust all antibody dilutions accordingly.

If you have too much endogenous peroxidase, there is a superior method to
block peroxidase/pseudoperoxidase, called Glucose oxidase method.  I will
be happy to attach via private email OR use an alkaline phos method
instead.   DAKO has a new red chromogen for alk phos that is very
sensitive, try that instead.

Gayle Callis
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology