[Histonet] Cutting fresh "squishy" rat brain

Kim Merriam kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 11:38:45 CDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I need to cut sections of fresh rat brain, in certain stereotactic coordinates and then embed them in OCT.  Does anyone have any tips as to how to do this without squashing the brain?  We are trying to cut coronal sections of the brain to precisely expose a particular region, and we are using a fresh disposable microtome blade to do the cuts, but the brain is still very squishy when fresh and is very difficult to cut.   We are doing LCM on these cryosections, so any type of fixation is out of the question.

Kim Merriam
Novartis
Cambridge, MA

Kim Merriam