[Histonet] division of "LAB"or, iron stain

JColCLEFA <@t> aol.com JColCLEFA <@t> aol.com
Sun Aug 15 17:36:21 CDT 2004

 Division of labor--I am the Sr. IHC Tech for a large hospital corporation
and my experience is that a division of labor functions best when the lines are
defined. I offered temporary help assisting autopsies because the full time
autopsy assistant would call in sick when bodies would be available to be
autopsied (member of the team, right?) I was on call every weekend for 6 years. When
I finally put my foot down and took a week off to go to the NSH convention, I
was assured by my supervisor that the morgue would be covered by assistants
from other sources. I offered to train them and my boss told me they were
already fully trained . I was called back from the convention a day early because
none of the people called in were fully trained and I was held accountable
(bad annual review which specifically mentioned that one week) for the SNAFU even
though my job description has no mention of autopsy responsibility.   Also
the housekeeping staff had the habit of forgetting to take out the trash in the
morgue, so I decided to be a team player and toss the trash myself when they
"forgot". When the noble housekeeping staff found out that I would do this they
stopped taking out the trash altogether. I earned back their respect (their
fear?) only after complaining via e-mail cc'd to their supervisor's manager,
and threats to report the manager to the VP for creating a dangerous
environment.   Six years of trusting that people would do the right thing if given the
chance did nothing but turn me into a Macheavellian. I don't care if the
houskeeping staff likes me or not. They earned my disdain, and now my hospital is
safer.

Iron stain-- maybe it is negative.