[Histonet] RE: Artisan Stainer

Paula Wilder histo20 <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 21:06:05 CDT 2004

We have had the Artisan for nearly a year now.  We had had some problems
with it initially, due to lack of information and training.  We found you
had to initialize between each run, the refrigerated packs, especially the
silvers HAD to come to room temperture, otherwise there would be a
precipitate on the slide.  We also learned that when filling the bulk
fluids, you had to decrease the volume by 10%.  So if the reagent bottle was
actually 950 ml, then you would tell it 900. What we thought was precipitate
was actually reagents not being rinsed off the slide because of an empty
bulk fluid bottle.  We also needed a power back-up and surge protector.
Those seemed to be the end of our problems.  The trichrome stain needs to be
by itself since there is something wrong with the packs.  We were told that
the packs squirt and that manufacturing is working on the problem.  Our turn
around time for specials has improved and I also lost a tech with this
machine (someone not being replaced).  Stains are beautiful and consistent
now.
Paula Wilder
St. Joseph Medical Center
Baltimore, MD. 21204