[Histonet] pHing of eosin

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Aug 13 15:15:00 CDT 2004

If you are buying eosin Y, already made up, check the MSDS, and the pH, it
may be adjusted correctly.  I know that this is the case for Richard Allan
Eosin Y solution.  If you are making up eosin y from the dry dye, then the
recipe is (Hrapchak and Sheehan)

eosin y   0.5g
95% ethanol  50 ml
glacial acetic acid    1 drop

If you are adjusting already made up, use acetic acid.

At 01:44 PM 8/13/2004, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We are looking at pHing our eosin to the correct pH, instead of just using
>it straight from the bottle.  What should we use to adjust the pH?  Should
>it be 1N sodium hydroxide or  1N hydrochloric acid?
>
>Thanks
>Daryl

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)